Frequently Asked Questions

Some U.S. and Canadian policies may cover your vehicle for physical damage. The Mexican government, however, doesn't recognize U.S. or Canadian policies as valid insurance in Mexico.
Yes, you must always purchase Mexico Liability coverage while traveling in Mexico. When traveling in Mexico, it’s important to remember that the legal system is different than in the United States. As in the U.S., the possibility exists of being involved in an accident. The Mexican government treats these accidents seriously; under Mexican law, they are considered both civil and criminal offenses. Your vehicle may be impounded and you may be placed under arrest. The easiest way to determine what coverage to purchase is to buy a policy similar to the one you have in the United States or in your place of residency.

All of our Mexico insurance policies include Legal Aid Service. In Mexico, a traffic accident is considered a felony. It is very possible that the authorities will detain you and your vehicle will be impounded until they conclude their investigation. Legal aid coverage helps to prevent this. With one phone call an attorney will come to your assistance and negotiate your immediate release as well as the release of your vehicle. The legal aid contract was designed to cover the legal requirements that arise from an automobile accident.
There are liability limits of $300,000 and $500,000 that are available. However, the Mexico laws that are in place that would require these limits to be paid are for Mexico Labor Laws that were already in place and revised in December 2012. The following is a quote from an attorney in Mexico.

“There is only one labor law in Mexico and it is not new. It was reformed on November 31, 2012 and the reforms took effect Dec. 1, 2012. The labor lawdoes not affect tourists, only employers. It has nothing to do with accidents. I am not sure why you would think that the Labor Law would be of interest to tourists.”


Lic. Glenn Louis McBride
Your local car dealer or your insurance agent should be able to help you determine your vehicle's value. The Kelly Blue Book of used cars values may also be used as a guide. Be sure to add those extras you want insured should you have a loss. Remember, our trailers and cars are always worth more to us owners than they might be to someone else. We advise you not to under-insure.
If you have a loan on your vehicle or trailer, most lenders will require that they be furnished a copy of your policy indication that the unit is insured while it is in Mexico. Upon request, we will supply a "lien holder" copy of the policy naming your bank or financial institution as lender. Always make sure you allow enough time before your trip into Mexico to allow for the handling of paperwork.
No, but it must be listed on the policy with the towing vehicle, or else the towing vehicle's insurance could be voided in the event of an accident or loss.
Yes, you should obtain a notarized affidavit of permission from the legal owner.
Only if you plan to drive in mainland Mexico beyond the border areas, or plan to transport a vehicle by ferry from Baja California to mainland Mexico. Permits are not required for travel on the Baja California peninsula.
All claims MUST be reported before you leave the Republic of Mexico. Any claim not reported may be subject to denial. The first thing that you need to do if involved in an accident is to contact the 01-800 insurance claims hotline provided and 01-800 legal aid hotline number to get an adjuster and lawyer on scene immediately.
Documents needed:
  • proof of citizenship ( passport or birth certificate )
  • tourist card for each individual in the automobile
  • vehicle permit if you are traveling more than 25 kilometers inside of Mainland Mexico or outside of Sonora
  • valid vehicle registration, or original title showing proof of ownership
  • letter of authorization from the finance or leasing company
  • All drivers must have a valid driver’s license (Mexico driver’s licenses are not acceptable)
Our claims are handled by our staff in the United States to prevent from having to deal with the Mexico Insurance Company directly. We are the only surplus provider that has offices both in the US and in Mexico to provide you with the utmost professional service possible to the industry.
You are not obligated to fix your vehicle in Mexico however; there are additional expenses that you could be responsible for depending on the type of policy purchased.
A fixed deductible is a set dollar amount that you are responsible to pay before the insurance company will adhere to the contractual agreement versus an amount determined by a percentage of the insured amount.
There are two ways to release your vehicle permit:
  • Return to the border with the vehicle,
  • In case of a total loss or theft, you will need to provide all original documentation from the insurance company and the Federal Authorities.
**This can only be handled at the border where permits are issued.**
All of our policies extend liability to the trailer while it is coupled to the vehicle. The insurance company requires that the trailer be stated on the policy regardless if you purchase liability or full coverage.